1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
All stations have ingredient information available, one just needs to ask our staff.
Big 8 plus gluten are posted, full ingredients available quickly on request. All ingredients reviewed annually nationally. Every label is read every time for allergen safe areas.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
All self-serve areas have ingredient information available upon request.
Big 8 plus gluten are posted, full ingredients available quickly on request. All ingredients reviewed annually nationally. Every label read every time for allergen safe areas.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Full ingredient information is available on request. For those avoiding gluten, one can obtain a GF bread or roll from designated refrigerator, go to the grill or deli and have your item prepared in a separate pan if applicable, or deli meat from back up with glove change. Staff member builds sandwich using your plate as the surface to avoid cross-contact
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
All ingredients used at our Simple Servings stations are stored in separate locations. Foods are prepared in segregated areas to minimize the chance of cross contamination. Staff is trained using Allertrain program.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
Simple Servings is staffed with a server at all times. Guests are not permitted to self-serve in order to minimize cross-contact.
7. We train dining services staff members.
Managers are trained on: • Recognizing anaphylaxis • Proper treatment for anaphylaxis • University policies regarding emergency response for anaphylaxis • Which first responders respond to anaphylactic reactions and whether they carry epinephrine Non-managerial dining staff are trained on: • Recognizing anaphylaxis • How to respond to anaphylaxis in accordance with university policies
Dietitian Amber Johnson works with staff training onsite and Allertrain Master Trainer Beth Winthrop conducts Allertrain certification via webex. Opening meeting for Fall semester will include allergy training for all staff. Majority of our current staff are already trained.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
Hall Directors have a list of residents with dietary restrictions. They work to accommodate these students' needs.
Housing officials are becoming more aware of dietary needs/restrictions and are very willing to accommodate residents.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
Housing works diligently to accommodate roommate assignments. An accommodation cannot be guaranteed before an individual discusses their particular case with Housing.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
Housing, Dining Services
email firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply for services at disabilityservices.gatech.edu
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >
GTPD officers do not carry epinephrine, but they are trained on how to use an EpiPen. For anaphylactic emergencies, we call Grady EMS.