1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
omelet bar, grill, deli, as well as any specialty bars
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
salad bar, pasta bar, pizza, desserts, and all other self-serve areas
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
For milk-allergic students, you may request an omelet made from whole eggs in a separate pan with vegetables from back-up. On the grill, you may order a hamburger made on our "meat only/GF" charbroiler, with a GF roll you get from the "My Zone" area. The "My Zone" area also provides gluten-free bread for you to bring to the deli, where our staff person will make your sandwich on your own clean plate using fillings from back-up.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
Self-serve areas do have precautions in place, such as assuring that each item has a separate utensil, and wiping up spills, using separate cleaning equipment for each station. Since self-serve areas are prone to cross-contact from other customers, please ask us to assist you with a serving from our back-up in the kitchen. For the salad bar, our cold wells contain only single-ingredient vegetables, with composed salads, eggs, cheeses and croutons set apart. We also post a sign “If you have a food allergy, please request your salad be prepared for you. Talk to our manager.”
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Our special Simple Servings and My Zone stations accommodate nearly all students with food allergies. If students need to request a different item, they may work with the chef.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
The "My Zone" personal pantry is free of gluten, peanuts and tree nuts, and is reserved for students with food allergies or celiac. The Simple Servings station is free of gluten and all top 8 allergens except for fin fish, is open to all students, so allows food allergic students to have a very comfortable social experience in dining, without feeling singled out. Students are not allowed to serve themselves, or to bring other foods over to Simple Servings, preventing cross-contact. All ingredients are free of 7 of the top 8 allergens and gluten and are prepared in a separate area of the kitchen using designated equipment.
7. We train dining services staff members.
Allertrain encompasses food allergies, celiac, food intolerances, anaphylaxis, policies, legislation, emergency management, and practical tips on communication, preventing cross-contact, cleaning, properly following recipes, and ensuring signage is accurate.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
review with resident advisor
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
the Special Housing Accommodation Form is available online
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
As detailed on the website, students should start with dining services then if additional accommodation is required, complete the Food Allergy and Special Nutrition Form with their physician (form available online) and return it to student accessibility services.
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >