1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
If you don't know how to find the ingredients, ask the chef or manager.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
There are very few short-order areas. There is one stir fry station and several sandwich stations around campus. Procedures include changing gloves, everything is labelled, GF soy sauce is used, etc.
Students can always ask servers to change gloves and use red pans for cooking. Students should notify servers of any food allergies.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
Dining halls and outside retail (i.e. Chik Fil A and Smashburger) have cross contact procedures. Internal retail brands (smaller facilities) are not as consistent with cross-contact procedures.
Students should talk to the chef or manager if they have questions or concerns about cross-contact procedures.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
7. We train dining services staff members.
food allergy 101, anaphylaxis, avoiding cross-contact, college and university policies, etc.
Servers have basic training but chefs and managers have more involved training and should always been seen as a resource for questions or concerns about food handling.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
Students are asked to self-identify to Residence Life staff so that they can be accommodated.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
Students may be accommodated by being placed in residence halls with kitchens or near specific dining halls that are better equipped to meet their needs.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
Departments or organizations sponsoring events handle the dietary needs for those events. Students should contact the sponsoring entity to request dietary accommodations.
Please see the Disability Services website for information about requesting accommodations.
Students should contact Disability Services prior to coming to campus to request accommodations to make sure their dietary needs can be met.
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
TAMU EMS is a full mobile intensive care unit and can manage all of the usual medical emergencies that require an ambulance, paramedic/EMT response. They are staffed 24/7/365.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >