1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
The Made to Order feature is provided at the Greens & Grains (salad bar), Local Loaf (deli station), and Under the Hood (grill station).
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
The self serve stations are cereal dispenser, beverage stations, waffle station, and condiments dispenser.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Separate tongs or serving utensils are used for each topping/ingredient. If student states they have a food allergy, employee will change gloves, wash hands. Toppings and ingredients are taken from back-up containers if a student makes a special dietary meal request.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
Items in self-serve area are clearly labeled.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
True Balance is our allergy-friendly station that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner made without the top 8 allergens.
7. We train dining services staff members.
Students are required to take a fresh plate from True Balance station rather than using a plate from another station.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.