1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Ingredient information about the top 8 allergens can be found on the Bite by Sodexo Mobile app
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
"Please do take note that our gluten-free options are prepared in a kitchen containing gluten ingredients, although we do take care to avoid cross-contamination. "
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Accomodations are by student and depending on the type of allergy.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
"OSA works closely with the Student Health Center and Sodexo, the Pepperdine Malibu food services vendor, to create access for students with food allergies. We encourage you to contact the following offices at the same time you are registering your allergies with OSA:
- The Student Health Center dietician can help you meet your nutritional needs on campus. For a consultation, please call 310.506.4316, option 3, to schedule an appointment.
- To explore how Sodexo supports students with food allergies, please contact Hayden Thrasher, Regional Registered Dietitian for Sodexo. Hayden.Thrasher@sodexo.com or (509)-490-2763
Note that not all residences on the Malibu campus are equipped with kitchens. OSA and Housing and Residence Life may provide access to a kitchen for students to support personal food preparation as necessary."
See what health services we offer >
or referral issued. Expenses incurred for medical treatment rendered outside of the SHC for which no prior approval or referral is obtained is excluded
The following is a list of benefits that are covered at the SHC only. If you receive these services out of the SHC, they will NOT be covered by your student
• Travel Physical - paid at 100% of Reasonable Charge up to 2 visits maximum per Policy Year
• Allergy Injections (Antigen not provided) - paid at 100% of Reasonable Charge"
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.