All stations have ingredient information available.
Our products are organic when possible, minimum of 20% of produce is locally sourced (less than 150miles of campus), seafood is sustainably sourced based off Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch List, and meat sources are antibiotic free, hormone free, and third party certified.
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Right now no self-service is available due to covid, but when we are in normal operations we have a grab and go station for produce, hand fruit, and certain pre-packaged items.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
We have two stations in particular that are held to the highest level of strictness in terms of cross contact. Our allergen station is free from the top 8 allergens and all cooking is done using separate equipment from the rest of our facility. Halal is our other station, which in consultation with an expert, has been approved as a Halal-acceptable station. Ingredients and equipment are handled accordingly.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
We have a new meal delivery system for students and can accommodate dietary preferences/needs if they alert us of their allergen.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Our allergen station is free from the top 8 allergens and all cooking is done using separate equipment from the rest of our facility. In addition, our registered dietitian does monthly audits on processing, ingredients, and continuing education for the station and those who work there.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
Food allergies, food handling, food safety, cross contact, and university policies.
We take food allergies and accommodations very seriously here at Georgetown and have had our cooks, chefs, and dietitian work with students individually to keep them safe.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
Contact Residence Life who is in contact with the campus dietitian.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
Our Counseling & Psychiatric Services also handles accommodations for eating disorders and psychological issues pertaining to food.
Students can call or email the appropriate department on campus.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
Our Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service (GERMS) is in charge of this type of incident. We also have Georgetown Policy Department for added support.
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >