All food is prepared in open kitchens that handle the major allergens; however, we take precautions to minimize accidental cross-contact.
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
At all stations in the cafe, guests may ask to speak with a chef or manager regarding food or ingredient information. The chef or manager will review the ingredients and preparation methods with individuals to allow them to make an informed decision.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
All food is prepared in open kitchens that handle the major allergens; however, we take precautions to minimize accidental cross-contact. Enhanced protocols are followed at Latitude located in the Marketplace at Atherton Union, which is dedicated to serving guests special dietary needs.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
All food is prepared in open kitchens that handle the major allergens; however, we take precautions to minimize accidental cross-contact. Self-serve foods are placed to minimize drips and spills into neighboring vessels. Students can request ingredients and supplies that have not been out for service to reduce the risk of accidental cross-contact in self-serve areas.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
We are committed to working with all students to make reasonable accommodations to meet their dietary needs. Students can order special meals after registering with Student Disability Services and meeting with the Bon Appetit Registered Dietitian for access to an online order form.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Latitude, located in Atherton Marketplace, offers menu items prepared without the major allergens and gluten. Menu items are made with single-source ingredients and are prepared and served by knowledgeable employees.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
All managers and chefs receive a FARE reviewed food allergy training annually, and hourly associates are trained two times per year. On-going training is provided in daily team meetings.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
A student establishes eligibility by submitting the appropriate written documentation to the office of Student Disability Services (SDS). Documentation could be a letter from the student's diagnosing/treating clinician, a full neuropsychological evaluation report, or a documentation form filled out by your clinician. You can find our documentation forms and guides here: https://www.butler.edu/academic-services/disability/forms/.
Reasonable accommodations are determined through individualized interview with the student as well as review of diagnostic data and history. Students who wish to request accommodations must give written permission for SDS to inform professors and other relevant university personnel that they are a person with a documented disability.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.