omelet bar, grill, deli, specialty bars (global, vegan, pop-up)
Top 8 allergens are listed on our on-line menu at saintmarys.sodexomyway.com
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
salad bar, pasta bar, pizza, desserts, and all other self-serve areas
Self-serve areas can have a risk of allergen cross-contact. Please ask for assistance in having us serve you a portion from back-up. For example, the self-serve salad bar has many milk-containing items, so milk-allergic students should request their salad be made for them in the kitchen.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
For milk-allergic students, you may request an omelet made from whole eggs in a separate pan with vegetables from back-up. On the grill, you may order a hamburger made in a separate pan in the kitchen, rather than the flat-top grill. The "My Zone" area also provides gluten-free bread and sandwich fillings, so students do not have to use the regular deli.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Self-serve areas do have precautions in place, such as assuring that each item has a separate utensil, and wiping up spills. We also lay out our salad bar with plain vegetables at one end, and top allergen-containing foods at the other.
Since self-serve areas are prone to cross-contact from other customers, please ask us to assist you with a serving from our back-up in the kitchen.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
Our special Simple Servings and My Zone stations accommodate nearly all students with food allergies. If students need to request a different item, they may work with the chef.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Saint Mary's "food-forward" Simple Servings station puts the cook preparing the food out front interacting with students. Students watch their food being prepared for them, and served to them by the cook. Simple Servings is open to all students, so allows food allergic students to have a very comfortable social experience in dining, without feeling singled out. Students are not allowed to serve themselves, or to bring other foods over to Simple Servings, preventing cross-contact. All ingredients at the station are free of 7 of the top 8 allergens and gluten.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
Allertrain encompasses food allergies, celiac, food intolerances, anaphylaxis, policies, legislation, emergency management, and practical tips on communication, preventing cross-contact, cleaning, properly following recipes, and ensuring signage is accurate.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
Bring requests through student life or dining
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
see directions on website under student life; students with disabilities.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >