Salad bar, grill, deli, fire and ice station
Please make your server aware of your food allergies. For any self-serve areas, we are happy to prepare your meal in the back of the house with attention to prevention of allergen cross-contact.
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Please let us know about your food allergy and we will be happy to prepare your salad in the back of the house.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
For the grill, if a student has a food allergy they can ask for a food to be made in the back of the house for the. For the deli and salad bar they can ask for salads that are not out on the line.
Simple Servings is our allergen-safe, dining option for our customers with food allergies or gluten intolerance. This station offers food free from peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, wheat, soy, milk products, eggs, and gluten- containing ingredients. Simple Servings staff members are carefully trained to avoid cross-contact with food allergens
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Salad bar, we put all the food allergen foods closest to the person who will be serving. When it is set up as a self-service station is it closest to the students. When an employee is serving the food allergen items are closest to them.
Salad bar is arranged with single ingredient fruit & vegetable toppings at one end (fresh vegetables, canned beans). Allergens such as cheese, eggs, composed salads, dressings and croutons are at the other end of the salad bar. We are happy to prepare salads in the back of the house for food allergic students on request.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
The student will meet with the dietitian to come up with a plan on how to get meals that will avoid their allergens.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Simple Servings is our award-winning allergen safe and gluten free station. Food is prepared from scratch with attention to prevention of allergen cross contact. Dedicated culinary and service staff have special training.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
Food allergies, celiac, food intolerances, legislation, policy, front of house, back of house, following recipes, avoiding cross-contact, proper cleaning, emergency procedures.
Please let us know when you will be visiting the Berea campus, and we would be happy to tour you through dining.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >