1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
We have a Grubhub app to pre-order items from our retail areas that will allow students to customize meals based on their allergens. Students can specify a food allergy or special dietary need when placing their order, which will alert our staff to follow proper procedure to prepare the meal.
If students are have a medical dietary accommodation, pre-ordering of meals would be arranged between the student, chef & dietitian.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Simple Servings is our allergen-safe, dining option in The 921 for our customers with food allergies or gluten intolerance. This station offers food free from peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, wheat, soy, milk products, eggs, and gluten-containing ingredients. Simple Servings staff members are carefully trained to avoid cross-contact with food allergens and thus food is prepared on separate equipment to limit possibility of cross contact.
My Zone is our secured campus “pantry” where food items needed by students with Celiac disease, peanut or tree nut allergies are stored and prepared with precautions against cross-contact. This area is free of tree nut, peanut and gluten-containing ingredients and products. To gain access to My Zone please talk to one of our managers to schedule a short orientation. For more information, please email Nicole Caliendo.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
Submit a Meal Plan and Accommodations Petition through Bentley Resident Housing
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
What does the policy allow for?
Staff is trained to recognize anaphylaxis and call emergency responders
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >