1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
Visit https://dineslu.sodexomyway.com or download the Bite app from the app store for weekly menus, which also highlight allergens for each food item.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Ameren Cafe Make-Your-Own Sandwiches
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
If your food allergy is not accommodated by the Simple Servings station, please contact DineSLU Nutritionist to set up an appointment to discuss the possibility for a special meal request. This process involves creating a special menu which meets the student's special dietary needs. This menu is then communicated to the Chefs'/or who prepare the meals according to the special instructions and requests from the student and nutritionist.
Please contact the DineSLU Nutritionist Richelle Pretzer at email@example.com to set up an appointment to discuss the dietary needs and what accommodations can be made.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
The new station Simple Servings, located in Grand Dining Hall services food that is prepared without the FDA most common allergens. To minimize cross-contact, foods are protected through separate storage, preparation, and service. At this station, all food items will be served on a separate clean plate provided by the DineSLU staff to minimize cross-contact with the top 7 allergens and gluten.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.