Top allergens (Egg, Milk, Soy, Fish, Shellfish, Peanut, Tree Nut, Gluten & Sesame) are labelled at the point of service in our dining rooms. Allergen and ingredient information are available in an online database for our retail locations.
We have additional allergy friendly options available upon request at many of our locations (ex: gluten free bread, vegan cheese, milk alternatives).
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Specific ingredient information can be made available upon request within as needed.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
We have special allergy friendly kits including dedicated cooking equipment which our staff are trained to use if a student informs us that they have concerns about cross contact.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
SDS registered students may work with a chef to develop a menu that meets their specific needs prior to meal service. In our retail locations, meals can be tailored based on allergy need and ordered ahead.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
We have a certified peanut, tree nut and gluten free dining room. We produce sandwiches and salads at this unit for resale at our retail units as well.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
When providing food at Residential Life Events, the team accommodates allergies for programming/talks with students about what food options would be inclusive for them as they are planning the programming. Our hall/community staff has ongoing conversations with students about restrictions or allergies as students share them with us. Most of our team is able to check with students about inclusive options for them as they are program shopping.
Our Residence Hall Director and Area Coordinator Team members are really great resources – feel free to communicate with them throughout the year as items arise and they may be able to help navigate resources.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
Please review the Student Disability Services Dietary Accomodation Webpage for more details.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >