Currently we provide ingredient information upon request.
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Currently we provide the information upon request.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Sect 2: 2.4, 2.5; Sect. 3: 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7,3.8; Sect. 4: 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, Sect. 5: 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.7, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12,
We continuously assess our self-serve procedures and are constantly looking for ways to improve to create the safest environment for all diners. We utilize best practices and resources, such as FARE, to make these improvements. Staff are certified in safe food handling from food allergies to food safety and sanitation.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
We welcome student requests and feedback to ensure they are receiving the best possible products and services for their dining needs.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
Staff receives training explaining the seriousness of food allergies and celiac disease. Staff is trained on proper cleaning methods to avoid cross-contact. Dining staff is trained on proper procedures in their area to prevent cross-contact and prepare a meal for a diner with a special dietary need. There is at least one trained staff member at every dining facility during operating hours who can handle special dietary requests and questions. All Dining Staff are trained on: • Recognizing anaphylaxis • Proper treatment for anaphylaxis • University policies regarding emergency response for anaphylaxis • Which first responders respond to anaphylactic reactions and whether they carry epinephrine
NDSCS will be providing ongoing food allergen training to all dining staff.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
They are welcome to let the Res Life staff who are planning activities to inform us of special dietary needs, which we are happy to accommodate.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
They are encouraged to call our Accessibility Coordinator or stop by her office.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >