1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Simple Servings Station is an allergen-safe station. It serves dishes that do not include ingredients with the top 8 allergens.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
Shenandoah University Dining has a Simple Servings station at Allen Dining Hall which prepares foods with ingredients that do not contain the top 8 allergens.
The Simple Servings station at Allen Dining Hall has cross-contact procedures in place.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
Simple Servings Station in Allen Dining Hall
The Simple Servings station has their own their own dry and cold storage areas, prep area, their own special purple equipment, a separate oven and other separate cookware, and run a separate dish cycle with the Simple Servings cookware and cooking utensils.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Simple Servings is our allergen-safe, dining option for our customers with food allergies or gluten intolerance. This station offers food free from peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, wheat, soy, milk products, eggs, and gluten-containing ingredients. Simple Servings staff members are carefully trained to avoid cross-contact with food allergens.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
Resident Life programs provides prepackaged foods, as well as foods with allergens listed.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
Residence Life, Dining Services
Accomodation requests can go through Shenandoah University's Disability Services.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
Epinephrine is stored at the Wilkins Wellness Center in Racey Hall
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >