Students are encouraged to ask for the executive chef or manager if they wish to learn more about a menu item and its ingredients. Our team is able to provide them with recipes and food labels as needed.
1. We provide access to ingredient information for made-to-order* items. *Made-to-order - Meals that are prepared on request and to your specification in the dining hall. Examples include a sandwich station, omelet station, burrito station, etc.
Students are encouraged to ask for the executive chef or manager if they wish to learn more about a menu item and its ingredients.
2. We provide access to ingredient information for self-serve* items. *Self-serve - Meals that are served buffet-style in a dining hall. These are typically high risk for cross-contact and are best avoided by diners with food allergies.
Students with food allergies are able to have items made to order such as sandwiches and burgers to accommodate their allergens. The team is trained to clean and sanitize their work space, use the appropriate cutting boards and utensils, change their gloves, and to use ingredients from back up.
3. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in made-to-order areas.
4. We have procedures in place to lower the risk of cross-contact in self-serve areas.
Students are able to use our app to order from our retail dining location specifying their allergen before submitting their order.
5. We have pre-order meals* available. *Pre-order meals - Custom meals that can be ordered in advance by a diner so they are ready for pick up at a specific time. Typically these can be ordered online or by phone/text.
Simple Servings is our allergen friendly station located at Commons and Sadler that offers a complete meal for lunch and dinner.
6. We have an allergy-friendly station*. *Allergy-friendly station - A food station where specific ingredients are banned, typically including many or all items in the Top 8 allergens and gluten.
Our executive chefs and managers receive AllertrainU certification. Our entire management and Simple Servings team receive formal allergy training every semester as well as continuous training during the semester.
7. We train dining services staff members.
8. We have a registered dietitian* on staff. *Registered dietitian - Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts who are often tasked with helping students with food allergies navigate the dining halls.
9. We train our RA's.
10. We have inclusive resident life programs* including food. *Inclusive resident life programs - Programs in the resident halls often include food. Inclusive resident life programs will offer students with food allergies the opportunity to request safe food alternatives for events they attend in the dorms.
11. We offer accommodations for roommate assignments. *Every accommodation request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A housing accommodation cannot be guaranteed prior to an individual evaluation.
12. Our disability office processes food allergy and celiac disease accommodation requests.
See what health services we offer >
13. We have stock, undesignated epinephrine* available for emergency response. *Stock, undesignated epinephrine - Epinephrine that is prescribed to a college or university rather than to a particular student. This epinephrine is kept on hand to use for any student that experiences anaphylaxis.
14. Our campus emergency responders carry epinephrine.
See what our emergency response policy allows for >